Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Last-Episode-of-Twin-Peaks-Jitters and "King for a Day"

In addition to being sleep-deprived, I watched the last episodes of Twin Peaks last night. It was massively creepy in a horrible/wonderful way. I'm the sort of person who is easily unsettled by what others can dismiss as cheap or silly, particularly where special-effects are concerned and particularly when it comes to surrealism in the talkie-pictures. I kept one eye on the bathroom door during my entire shower this morning.

The good news is that my music collection on the computer is up to this challenge. It has just finished the most satisfying second half of King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime and has switched to Francoise Hardy's Greatest Hits. Ms. Hardy's extreme femininity is like a dream. I can feel fatalistic and passive while stuffing envelopes today, and let the weirdness wash over me like waves on a beach.

And now, a song lyric moment from the song What a Day from the King for a Day album, because I am self-indulgent and want to share a piece of what I like. I regard this song as being absolutely perfect for someone who's stuck with the day-after-the-last-episode-of-Twin-Peaks-jitters:


A piece of mail.
A letterhead.
A piece of hair from a human head.
They're saying to me, I should've killed it. I should've killed it before.
 You're right, you're right. 
"Kill the body and the head will die."
They're laughing at me, I should've learned it. I should've learned it before.
[...]

A wet sneeze and a no left turn.
A row of teeth and an encouraging word.
Beneath a mile of skin, I should've noticed it. Noticed it before.
[...]
What a day. 
What a day if you can look it in the face and hold your vomit.


I'm a sucker for this song. The words are spit out staccato, like something terribly important is taking place and we must share in the urgency. This is an emergency. It eventually dissolves into something like a rabid animal barking towards the end. The instrumentation is perfect for my tastes, too.


Mike Patton has hinted about wanting to compose for David Lynch and I really hope that this eventually gets to happen. They're made for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment