Thursday, April 15, 2010

The best journalistic idea that I may not act on

I had a lightning bolt of inspiration this afternoon that I'm most likely to just let fester and fade.

It looks like nobody yet has made an easily digested, readable, play-by-play breakdown of the new health care reform legislation. I'm talking about an attempt to read and congenially report on every single line of the huge document, a la David Plotz's hugely convenient Blogging the Bible project for Slate magazine. (BTW, thank you, David Plotz. I bought the hardcover version.)

If I were willing to commit the time and effort, I could do this! If I did it well, I could likely make a name for myself out of it. But I might not be hungry enough for success or glory. I'm mostly hungry for comfort. I would rather spend an afternoon in a park with my spouse and/or friends than do much in the way of hard work. Maybe curiosity would help propel me through it? I have a lot of curiosity, but I'm not sure if it will be enough.

Here it is, all 1990 pages. The bill Obama signed into law last month.

The first thing that I would need to do is print the damn thing. Like, on paper so I could write footnotes. This would require going to a print store or library.

Let's see what happens, folks. No promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment