Tuesday, November 10, 2009

If someone Googled my name...

Hello all... Anyone. This is my first blog entry for the Beatific Gonzette.

I had intended to open this publication with a long essay about the name that I'd selected. However, I have just been seized with a sense of terrible urgency, and must publish SOMETHING quickly.

I had the terrible realization earlier today that I may actually have too much privacy.

If someone Googles my name, what comes up? My Facebook profile--with details unavailable to people who don't already know me--and links to a few things that I've commented on. An ancient MySpace profile, too.

But that's it. No significant works of writing, no artwork, no research papers. Even the webpages I'd built in the 1990s which featured some of my better Dada short stories have expired. (This breaks my heart, by the way. I'm not sure of where else to find copies of some of them!)

No information has just been thrown into the great void of truly public space. Only people who actually know me have access to who I am, what makes me tick, how I understand the world and our species. It's hardly an appropriate lifestyle given that we're living in the era of excessive sharing and Too Much Information.

This blog is an attempt to fix that.

For the record, Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Lindsay Meagher-Swanson. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment